After observing the architectural fabric and the current chaos of signs covering the Hindiyya building façade, the visitor is advised to cross the street towards Bab al-‘Amud, walking alongside the City Wall northwards and reaching an opening in the wall, then ascending slightly towards ‘Aqabat al-Manzel.
This simple opening is known as Bab al-Jadid, located across the street from the St. Joseph Hospital and the Notre Dame Hotel. Both buildings belong to the architectural era of the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, named by this author as the Mosaic architecture, the subject of this trail.
Who Opened this Gate and Why?
As mentioned earlier in the Wall and Gates trail, Bab al-Jadid was opened in 1899 and is known as Bab Sultan ‘Abed al-Hamid. It is significantly different in its architecture and design elements from the other ‘original’ Jerusalem gates which belong to the 16th century. The motive behind opening it was facilitating movement for residents of the Christian Quarter to maintain contact with buildings constructed outside the city wall; instead of circling around towards Bab al-Khalil (Jaffa Gate), or going back to Bab al-‘Amud (Damascus Gate), distance and time were saved by using this opening in the city wall.