Leaving Al-Aqsa Mosque through Bab Huttah towards the north, the last station of this trail can be seen. Al-Ribat Al-Mardini is located on the western side of Bab Huttah Street, to the north of Al-’Awhadiyah cemetery.
Al-Ribat’s Units and Founders
Al-Ribat is composed of an entrance above which is a pointed arch, leading to a distributor corridor to two large halls, each covered by a dome. To the west of the halls are two rooms presently used as shops. The founders of the Ribat are two ladies from the city of Mardin, who were released from slavery by Saleh Ben Ghazi, the Artaki ruler (1321 - 1363 AD / 712 - 765 H). Mujir Eddin, the Jerusalem historian, examined the letter declaring the Ribat a religious endowment (Waqf), dedicated as a hostel to serve visitors arriving from the city of Mardin.
The Ribat building is simple, dominated by the local architectural style. It is currently a hostel. Documents indicate that it hosted many women from Mardin in 1392 AD (795 H).