The Old City included a number of religious schools (Yeshivas), including the Porat Yosef Yeshiva, which was established in 1914, but building work continued until 1923. The school building is considered the largest in the Jewish Quarter, and included a large lecture hall and two smaller ones. The building comprises about 50 rooms for administration and housing, as well as a library. The building was destroyed in the 1948 war. After 1967, the famous Israeli engineer David Sefdie presented a new design of the building on the same sight. The new building has six floors, and part of the dome is built with a transparent material. The building can be seen with its east-looking frontage from which the Noble Sanctuary and Al-Buraq Square can be seen.